3.3181818181818 out of 5, 1 based on 44 ratings
Try this vegetarian twist on a classic South African Bobotie recipe using Quorn Mince, fruit chutney, sultanas with a creamy golden topping.
- 300g (1 packet) Quorn Mince
- 2 slices Wholewheat bread
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Mild curry powder
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp (5ml) allspice
- 1 tbsp (15ml) fruit chutney
- 1 heaped tbsp (15ml) sultanas
- 200ml homemade vegetable stock
- 4 bay leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Pour cold water over the bread and set aside to soak.
- Meanwhile fry the onions in the olive oil, stirring regularly for 10 minutes until they are soft and starting to colour. Add the garlic and then stir in the curry powder, herbs, spices, chutney, sultanas, stock and 1 of the bay leaves with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes then add the Quorn Mince and continue to cook whilst stirring for 2 minutes.
- Squeeze the water from the bread and beat into the Mince mixture until well blended.
- Tip into an ovenproof dish. Press the mixture down well and smooth the top.
- For the topping, beat the milk and eggs with seasoning then pour over the meat. Top with remaining bay leaves and bake for 35-40 minutes until the topping is set and starting to turn golden.